Check out the latest episode of the ReRoute Safety
What Is The “ATMA”?
The Autonomous TMA Truck (ATMA) is outfitted with an electro-mechanical system and fully integrated sensor suite that will enable Leader/Follower capability that allows the ATMA to follow a lead vehicle completely unmanned. This cutting edge TMA Truck Technology is being adapted to the roadway construction industry and leveraged from existing systems currently deployed. It’s also in use by the U.S. military. Kratos company, Micro Systems Inc., powers the technology behind the driverless truck.
The Next Generation of TMA Truck Technology
for Highway Construction Work Zone Safety
“Any time a driver can be removed from these vehicles in a very dangerous situation, and if the vehicle’s struck, there’s nobody inside of it to receive the damage or the injuries…that’s measuring success,” said President of Royal Truck and Equipment, Rob Roy.
How Does The “ATMA” Operate?
Operation of the ATMA will be conducted in a configuration called Leader/Follower to replicate real-world operation. The configuration will include a human-driven Leader vehicle, followed by an unmanned Follower vehicle (the ATMA). The leader vehicle is a human-driven vehicle that will be outfitted with a NAV Module that is strapped to the roof of the vehicle during testing. The NAV Module contains a GPS receiver, system computer, digital compass, and a transceiver. It transmits GPS position data called “eCrumbs” back to the Follower vehicle, which then uses the data to follow the exact path and speed of the Leader vehicle at each point along the route. The NAV Module can be easily unstrapped and removed from one vehicle and installed on another if a different leader vehicle is required.
Proud Member of The:
April 3rd, 2018
The Automated Vehicle Coalition (AVC) announces its formal organization and list of founding, charter members. With a mission “To Improve Roads and Communities for a Safe and Responsible Future,” the AVC is focused squarely on the common good of the public and the transportation industry.
The AVC is guided by the following principles:
- Ensure that the safety of travelers is a primary driver of technological innovation.
- Achieve equity for surface transportation, including the ability to improve the quality of life.
- Strengthen the economy by supporting initiatives that entice technology-sector companies to invest in the creation of new jobs and new job types.
- Attract and retain a diverse, talented, and engaged local workforce.
- Link business and industry with education, to focus on science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).
- Maximize mobility through the correct and safe application of automated vehicles.